DEAR DR. LOTES: I have had this problem for years (since 1989 actually)...and only recently, I've addressed it publicly. I am addicted to the late 80's SNK video game classic "Baseball Stars". That damned 8-bit monster truly has a stronghold on me. Day and night, I embark on my quest to defeat the American Dreams, the Ninja Blacksox, and the World Powers (these are the 3 most potent and feared lineups in the league).

When I am not playing the game, I am thinking about playing the game. When I am sleeping, I am haunted by visions of Solly blasting yet another game-winning round tripper, or of Albert, the rookie, rounding second base for yet another jaw-dropping triple. Sometimes I wake up in cold sweats after I dream that Zeus, the inconsistant yet powerful pinch hitter, is taunting me endlessly with his evil laughter. Doc, it gets even worse. I fear that I am unable to separate the game from real life.

I secretly have a strong desire to be the most feared southpaw in all of Baseball Stars........the great Nappy. This athlete has such a tricky delivery, and he throws with a wicked side arm release and...well, I guess you just wouldn't understand. Is my addiction normal? What can I do to escape? -- SLEEPLESS IN SNK STADIUM



DEAR SLEEPLESS IN SNK:
Upon receiving your email I had never heard of Baseball Stars. I do not own a Nintendo, so I did the next best thing and downloaded an emulator called Nesticle onto my PC. I also came across a website that lets you play your Nintendo favorites online: http://www.everyvideogame.com/.

Before long, Baseball Stars had its hooks into me. I can understand what you love about this twenty year old relic. The game play and music, two crucial elements of a video game, were years ahead of its time. Each player is unique and their luck and prestige levels determine if and when they will come through in the clutch. This gives each character a personality and may cause a video gamer to feel some kind of attachment towards them.

I too took a liking to the World Powers' crafty southpaw reliever Nappy. His submarine/ sidearm delivery reminds me of the late, great relief pitcher, Dan Quisenberry.

Dan Quisenberry career stats:


Win-Loss
56-46
ERA
2.76
Saves
244
All-Star
1982-84

That being said, it is very possible you have a psychological addiction to video games. Forty four percent of video gamers are men between the ages of 18 and 45, so it’s not an uncommon for guys to be gamers. If thoughts of this activity persist while you are at work, eating, or banging out, you may have a problem. If you suffer from withdrawal of any kind, you may want to consult a help group. If you are picking the Ninja Blacksox over poonanny, you need to stop. But first I challenge you to a best out of three tournament, shotgun World Powers. Bitch.

An 80's family, sporting textbook 8o's haircuts, enjoying 8-bit Nintendo.


No comments: